Browsing survivalist websites recently (don\’t ask), I clicked on a banner ad for Hardened Structures, and specifically for their \’2012 Shelters\’.
The 2012 Shelter sounds like a serious piece of kit. The website tells us: \”As a specific Threat Event, the anticipated catastrophic effects resulting from 2012 are far greater than the anticipated effects from WMD’s, anarchy, climate change or any of the other specific Threat Events for which we have developed mitigation designs … most engineers and scientists agree that for a fully protected 2012 shelter the following threats must be mitigated;
- 3-Bars Blast Overpressure of 45 psi
- Force 10 Earthquake in successions
- 450 MPH winds
- Extreme Gamma & Neutron attenuation from a 100 megaton air burst detonated 20 miles away
- Solar Flares with 1,000,000 volt EMP
- Flooding (complete submersion for 100 hours)
- Extreme External Fires at 1250 F for 10 days
- Magnetic Pole Shift
- Radiological, Chemical and Biological Weapons
- Forced Entry and Armed Assaults
- 12’ of snow and 10’ of rain
- 500 lb Hail Stones or flying debris at a speed of 100 mph\”
Usually I find that ignoring TV for six weeks keeps you safely insulated from the Olympics, but some people are clearly determined to take no chances. 900 days to go, and counting.